17 Tips to Having a Awesome MACROCK
MACROCK Committee would like to offer some suggestions so that you get to see and hear everything you want. Follow these tips and you will be sure to have great weekend.
- Plan which bands you want to see first.
- Read through all the band descriptions there may be one that interests you, that you’ve never heard of.
- Be sure to check out the shirt printing expo, label expo, or one of the panels. They are always awesome, fun, and informative.
- DRINK WATER!! LIKE YOU ARE LOST IN THE DESERT AND THERE IS NO TOMORROW. ~ You’ll be standing a lot, and will need to hydrate.
- Also remember to eat and monitor your drinking. Stay healthy and well for the entire weekend. Remember it’s all day Saturday too.
- No backpacks, sorry. (Purses are allowed but subject to being inspected).
- No crowd-surfing, remember these are gracious restaurants hosting bands.
- No taking taking photos in venues without a press pass.
- Bring extra cash for merch. Bands are awesome and have awesome stuff for you to buy!! It’s how they make money.
- NO USING DOWNTOWN HARRISONBURG AS A PUBLIC RESTROOM. ~ We are completely serious, ask a place if you can use their restroom instead, they will appreciate it and so will we.
- Need help? Look for someone in a red, MACROCK Staff Shirt. They are our volunteers and here to help you.
- Be prepared to wait in line for headliners. Venues have capacity limits and we legally have to respect that …
- So plan accordingly. When you need to leave one venue for another venue.
- Explore Harrisonburg, you aren’t limited to Downtown! There are so many great places to eat, shop, and see in this city.
- Remember that so many people put so much time and effort into planning this festival, be respectful to all the volunteers and MACROCK staffers.
- DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE! AT ALL. EVER.
- Be a responsible punx!
INDIAN AMERICAN CAFE
A not-so hidden gem of Downtown Harrisonburg, the Indian American Cafe serves up the best Nepali style food around. You can customize your meals hotness level from 1/2 (Mild) to 5 (SPICY!). No joke, some of the greatest food that you will ever taste! The restaurant is super friendly (kid-friendly too), and open Monday - Saturday 11:00-2:30 and 5:00-9:00pm and closed Sunday. Be sure to stop by while you are in Harrisonburg, you won’t regret it.
Check out the Ponir Saag (cheese cubes with spinach and a bunch of other Nepali spices) and the lamb curry. Sweat out all that angst and MACROCK excitement .
91 N Main St Harrisonburg, VA 22802
So we are super stoked to have a representative from Bust Magazine speaking at our panel on music journalism this year! Bust is a women’s pop publication and was founded in 1993. 21 years later, they’ve grown immensely. They cover news, art, fashion, crafts, sex and culture from a third wave feminist view point. They are in print bi-monthly and also have a strong online presence. Please come out to hear Bust Music Editor Tess DUNCAN give her two cents at Larkin Arts on Saturday! 1pm, b der.
An amazing local print and embroidery shop focused on providing quality custom apparel service in a timely manner. The staff is pretty small, so when you go in you’re usually talking to someone who’s going to be involved in the actual printing process. They all have a ton of experience and are crazy helpful. Check em out at http://www.themarkithva.com/ or stop in at their Deyerle Avenue shop!
OOOoooOOO Shenandoah Bikes
Shenandoah Bicycle Company is dedicated to supporting cyclists of all levels by providing the highest quality service, products and experience in a unique, inviting and fun environment. They are also home to the insanely delicious Pulp, which serves Acai berry smoothies and bowls and literally I can’t explain because I have to go and get some right now. Everyone who works here is also super chiiilllll, helpful, and great.
Its usually best to park in the parking garage behind the shop just off water street. Cross the Black’s Run footbridge and get in here!
Places to goooo ——-> CAPITAL ALE HOUSE
Capital Ale House is on a mission to elevate the hospitality industry and educate its patrons on all things beer. Stop by on Tuesdays for Steal the Glass night, or any other day of the week and feel a little bit more posh than you really are. And if you’re feelin real nice, it’s right next to Court Square (movieee n a date and little to zero walking HELLO). They’re open Sunday – Thursday 11:00 am to Midnight and Friday – Saturday 11:00 am to 1:30 am.
JACK BROWN BILLY JACKS (palindrome?)
These bangin joints are cool and with it. There is an amazing menu of craft beer ranging from the local darlings to rare beers from around the world. They designed the bar that they like hanging out in. Whether its burgers and fried oreos or wings and doughnuts, your tum tum is sure to be pleased. Check em out MACROCK weekend yeee yeeeee
Midtown Market is the place to bbbbb
Midtown is in the middle of the chaos, for you n for me! They have craft beer and nice nice wine and also 40s if yer feelin the $$painnn$$ Not only that, they have like juice and snacks. The best part? They are open until 2 a.m. both nights of MACROCK. So if you forget your toothbrush or even your smokes you can get them here. Located at 20th West Water Street (on the corner of Water and Main) or call at (540) 383-7249.
While You’re Here, You Should Check Out: WONDER RECORDS
Seeing all those bands at Macrock XVII is sure to put you in the mood for picking up some tasty vinyl, and when you’ve got that hankering to do a little crate digging, be sure to head over to Wonder. Located on West Water Street right in the heart of downtown, Wonder has a very radical collection of new and used records, as well as skateboards and apparel. Trying to out-hip those crowds at the festival? Go grab a new flannel at Wonder you doofus. Wonder are having a huge sale during Macrock so no excuses not stop by and snag some deep cut dusty grooves.
29 WEST WATER ST, HARRISONBURG VA
GO GO GO GO GO